5.17.2007

Cherry

I have a small offering of bird seed on my balcony. It's not much, a little bird seed bell shaped thing. I bought it after I saw so many red cardinals in our neighborhood.


I thought I might be able to attract some birds - after weeks of no luck one morning a large cardinal chirped his happy self all over that bell. A few mornings later he came again. He's been a regular but not everyday. He has a wonderful little chirp. He does a little dance all around the bell. And his chirp sometimes wakes me up.


This morning I heard a lot of chipping. More than usual. I got up and peaked outside - he was there with his mate - they were dancing around and doing the bird jitter bug. Just so happy to have some bird seed and each other. It was a beautiful site.

I love the red in their feathers - it's like no other color on the planet. Growing up in California we did not have cardinals - we had plenty of other interesting birds but no vibrant red feathers like these guys. I know why 7 states selected this bird for their own. There is something so regal and yet so charming about them.

I think of birds as messengers of some kind. Mini earth angles looking to send greetings that all is really good in the world and that birds are flying in the wild, singing and being in love with their mates and taking them to the lady who put some bird seed out for them so they could chrip and wake her up.

No comments: